Button Batteries: they’re in everything from toys to hearing aids to thermometers and key fobs to remote controls. Don’t let them get inside your baby or child.
Always secure the screw to draws that hold button batteries. Keep them away from the kids at your house and grandmom and grandpop’s.
If you think your child may have ingested a button battery, call your pediatrician. If your child is drooling or having difficulty breathing or swallowing, call 911. Button batteries can cause serious burns to the intestines and bleeding.
Teach your child never to put anything in their ear or nose. That includes cotton swabs and fingers. Button batteries in the ears and nose can cause severe damage.
Get rid of used batteries at recycling spots in your community. Find out how and where here.
Read more about safe use and disposal of button batteries from the American Academy of Pediatrics here.